SPOON PUPPET FIGURE: Mrs. Toguchi
Mrs. Toguchi is one of the characters in the play about St. Marianne Cope called ANGEL IN OUR MIDST. You might want to make this easy spoon puppet to tell the wonderful story of St. Marianne and her work with the girls afflicted with leprosy in Hawaii. The puppet’s arms are popsicle sticks and her dress is a circle! The photo directions show how easy it is to make this figure.
Mrs. Toguchi’s hat is fun to make! Just copy out the pattern and decorate to your heart’s content. A slit in the brim enables the hat to stay on the head.
This is a quick and easy doll to make—the skirt is a circle, folded in quarters. The bodice is a strip of fabric which is glued onto the doll.
1. Paint the face portion of the plastic spoon.
2. To form the arms, glue 2 popsicle sticks (or mini-craft sticks) to the back of the figure. If they are too long, a piece can be broken off and the broken edges can be wrapped with tape for safety.
3. Paint the arms the same colour as the face.
THE BODICE MUST BE MADE BEFORE THE ARMS ARE GLUED ON.
TO FORM THE SKIRT OF THE DRESS: (FOLLOW THE PHOTO DIRECTIONS BELOW)
1. Cut a circle of fabric (or paper) approx. 8″(20cm) in diameter. Fold the circle in half, then in half again.
2. At the centre-point make a tiny snip through all layers of the fabric, just large enough to slip over the spoon handle.
4. Form small pleats at the neck edge. Form one or two large pleats in the skirt.
5, Glue the skirt a little above the chin level of the doll.
TO FORM THE BODICE OF THE DRESS:
Cut a small strip of fabric (or paper) to wrap around the “chest” of the spoon.. Glue the centre section to the front of the figure (covering the top part of the skirt), overlapping the ends at the back. Glue in place.
To finish the doll add yarn hair and facial features.
TO MAKE HER CURLY HAIR:
An easy way to make curly hair is the one you may have learned in school: Wind yarn around a pencil several times, soak in water briefly and let dry. This may take overnight. Remove yarn and you have a pile of curly hair! You can also paint on the hair to make it really easy!