MOTHER TERESA SALT-DOUGH FIGURE
MOTHER TERESA SALT-DOUGH FIGURE:
This 4”(10cm) figure is very easy and fun to make! The head is made of salt dough. Before it is baked a mini craft stick is inserted into the head. This forms the body. To make the figure stand up, the other end of the craft stick is inserted into a wine cork (or a blob of play-dough). SEE PHOTOGRAPH BELOW:
1. Make the head from salt-dough, following the recipe given below. Before baking, insert a mini craft stick into the head. This will be the body of the figure. The head is about 1”(2.5cm) in diameter. Bake according to the recipe instructions.
2. Paint the head once it is dried. Insert a wine cork (or blob of play-dough) into the other end of the craft stick to form a stand for the doll.
3. To make the robe cut fabric 8.5″(21.5cm) x 3”(8cm). Using a running stitch and doubled thread, gather fabric around the neckline. Tie a secure knot. Glue the ends together overlapping them at the back.
4. Glue the robe around the neck of the doll.
5. To make the veil, cut fabric 5.5”(13cm)x 2.5”(6.5cm). Before gluing on the veil you make the white headpiece first:
TO FORM THE NUN’S WHITE HEADPIECE:
1. From a small scrap of white t-shirt material, cut a strip large enough to fit around the head.
2. Stretch it very firmly around the head as shown in photo and glue in place with the ends at the back. Cut off the excess.
Wrap a narrow piece of blue ribbon or felt around the head as shown in the photograph before you glue on the veil.
NOTE: If you use the hem of the t-shirt you won’t need to fold the edges under. And it makes for a nice neat edge!